Friday, January 30, 2009

Errata of My Day

I do rear and left flank security as the small convoy tears through city streets and into the wasteland. The spotter is good, very good. So are the drivers.  Ravines and bare mountains, water-cut gulches, a unique (to me at least) rock formation called 'Dragon back'. A border is crossed and things change, physically change- the only difference is who lives on which side of an imaginary line and how they feel about the land and themselves.
......................................

K makes me write and I get rolling and voila something is put into words. Something important. Something that has shattered lives and angered people for decades. I'd had the shadow of the idea but for the first time, maybe, I can help the hurt and angry people understand it. Will it help them heal? Help them forgive? I hope so.
...................................

The writing is part of something bigger, for publication, so I can't share it here. I hate it when people play "Secret Squirrel Shit" with me and I apologize for doing it to you, but I'm pumped and had to share as much as I could.
................................

A contract in e-mail today for a pair of encyclopedia articles. It is flattering, but the contract...whew. Bad.  I don't need to publish, not for money, not for ego. And the two articles are good enough to sell elsewhere.
....................................

I love running and I hate it. A burn-out sprint until you can taste blood in your throat feels awesome and sucks at the same time. I thought I found a place to run stairs but... let's just say that climbing these stairs (2x4's with a single wobbly hand rail) take more concentration than is compatible with aerobic conditioning. The gym when I get there is dark and empty. Mine, all mine! Bwahahahah!
.......................................

In a single gesture I knew everything about the new team I need to know. They will be awesome. It already feels like home (except for the lack of my perfect wife, children, dogs and cats). But very comfortable.
.........................................

Graffiti left by some soldier in a bathroom in an airport in a dry and sandy country: "Your wife said 'hi'. I left you a six-pack in the fridge." It tickled me.

6 comments:

Steve Perry said...

Errata ... ?

Kami said...

I love the graffiti! I'm stealing it ... I'm sure it was stolen from someone else, so I'm stealing the stolen stuff from them.

I often really do wish I was there with you. And yet, not. :-) I really gotta start working on those transportation glyphs. There's got to be some way I can have my cake and eat it too.

My word verification today is outesses. You know, the people who deem it a royal right to out people.

Rory said...

Hmmm... on reference to a dictionary errata doesn't mean what i thought it did. Should have been 'miscellania' perhaps. Thanks, Wordsmith Perry.

Steve Perry said...

Well, actually, your use of it *was* errata. So when you think about it, you could argue that doing it thus was exactly what you meant. (That's how I would have defended it ...)

Kami said...

It didn't mean what I thought it meant either. I'd whine about how English wasn't my first language, but seeing as this is Latin and in theory anyway I am more comfortable with Latin-based words ... yeah. I've got no excuses.

Molly said...

Sounds exciting. By the way - I have a few mental health counselors I know reading your book. Those working with battered women have told me that there are really good, applicable insights for them.