Monday, November 12, 2012

Fiorella's Cafe

If I did poetry worth a damn, I would have written some today.
Two long days of training-- twelve and eight hours-- with a very good group of people.  Long talks each evening with Scott and Jason.  Helped break in Brandon's new indoor shooting range.  Not yet open, but the old St. Bernard's range.  It is going to be a fantastic facility, and Brandon has big plans and a boatload of credentials to make something special.

Then, today, on his way out of town Jason dropped me off in the French Quarter.  Showed me around enough that I could keep oriented and he hit the road back home, far away.  (Thanks, J.)  So, a day to walk and explore.  The River Walk.  French Quarter.  French Market.  Beignet's for breakfast.  Jazz in the streets.  And Fiorella's cafe.

Here's the beauty of being a writer:  I can walk in a strange city until I am tired, stop someplace and order food, coffee and a drink, get out my laptop and I'm working.

Today I did my working at Fiorella's Cafe. Kayla in service.  Nice.  Knew everybody.  Talked to people passing by in trucks.  Native but with almost no accent: "My mom was a school teacher and hated the New Orleans accent," she said.  The kind of waitress who is right there if you look up, but leaves you alone when you are writing.  Awesome.  And Yvonne running the bar.  Well done.  Best dirty martini I have had and I have her recipe for a burnt martini...and I don't even usually like martinis that much.  And the fried chicken.  And the red beans and rice. There are some things I love about the deep south.

So, New Orleans.  Nice people, great food.  Going out to listen to some of the music in a few minutes (Smoky Greenwell).  Stupid tourists (one, obviously drunk was doing tarzan yells and challenging women to strip from a balcony-- "He's not from around here," Kayla apologized.  "I can tell," I said.)

The seminar.  Small group of fantastic people.  We got dirty.  We covered a lot of material.  We broke some barriers.  Scott was a fantastic host. I got to see David again (Slovenia and now NO).  Exhausting.  Wonderful.  Amazing how often those two go together.  Lot's of experience in the group.  Lot's of Katrina stories and post-Katrina stories.  Gratifying, in a way, to see the reflexive preparations that people who have been through something like Katrina make.  And sad, because more people should be ready, should be thinking, "Just in case."

It's been over a week since writing on the blog.  A lot of it is because things have been going too well.  The handful of things that might have gone bad have been avoided or de-escalated.  I have little on that score to write about.  Teaching has been going well and I have to guard against complacency there.

Part is business and travel.  Most of October was spent either in frantic activity or exhaustion.  Writing time has been spent on other stuff.  Under K's publishing company, finally put out "Horrible Stories I Told my Children" under a pseudonym.  Didn't want to use my kid's real names.  You understand. Kami did the cover and the internal illustrations.
"Horrible Stories" on Kindle
"Horrible Stories" at SmashWords

Also working on a second edition of "Violence: A Writer's Guide."

And opened the 2013 calendar.  Contact me if you want to host a seminar.


9 comments:

RXian said...

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make the sessions (out of town), but it was a pleasure meeting you Friday at the range.

Josh Kruschke said...

:-)

It's good to hear when things are going good.

Anonymous said...

I was born just across the Mississippi from New Orleans, and was finally able to get hubby to visit there with my mom (native NO'er, now a PA transplant) and stepdad (decent if dopey guy) and me. He loved it! And it was new to me, too, seeing it through his eyes.

Anonymous said...

Paperback in the works, or am I finally going to have to break down and buy a Kindle?

Josh Kruschke said...

Anon 7:25

Smashwords has e-versions that you can read on Pc or Mac.

FYI.

Josh

Anonymous said...

The book was so freakin' funny even my dogs laughed.

Rory said...

Anon- This will probably be the one where we figure out CreateSpace. Just have to wait until the travel dies down. december.

Unknown said...

funny, i am not a martini person, either. although i am a James Bond fan. imagine. too bad you couldn;t have given balcony Tarzan a martial arts seminar; he was even more grating again the next day. glad you enjoyed my drinks. not finding you on the big blue internet marble. (:

Lise Steenerson said...

Wait a minute.... you ate chicken!?!?!??